Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Bonsai!!!!

Today I thought I would talk about my bonsai trees. 
Last week was my birthday and my wonderful wife decided to get me a bonsai, it was a Juniperus procumbens also known as a Juniper Bonsai . Apparently I had been annoying everyone around me with all of my talk of wanting a bonsai. Anyways, I opened the bonsai which was bought online and the pot was cracked down the middle, shame. I managed to glue it back together but my wife called the place she got it from and they said they would send a new one and that she should just throw this one away. Throw it away! who would do such a thing? So long story short I now have two Juniper Bonsai trees. 

I was so excited to start caring for my bonsai trees and had picked out a nice spot for them in our place. I started doing all kinds of research online and found out that you can't actually keep bonsai trees indoors. The only types of bonsai trees that can survive indoors are jade or ficus bonsai trees and technically they aren't even considered to be true bonsai trees. Anyways, almost everywhere I looked someone was asking the same question as me, "can I keep a juniper bonsai indoors?" and the answer was always no. I discovered that juniper bonsais need a dormant period which can only occur if it is living outside. It is possible to keep a bonsai inside, however it needs to be in a cold room and have lots of light. 


Some general information about caring for your juniper bonsai are that you should pay close attention to watering. There should never be too much or too little. One technique that I thought was cool says that you should place the pot in the sink and to fill the sink up until it is an inch or two deep and to let the water absorb from the holes in the bottom of the pot. The bonsai leaves need humidity to keep green and healthy, so it is important to mist them regularly too. I will talk about fertilizing in the spring when I start fertilizing my trees. I need to do some research before then.

I plant to start training my trees in the spring when I will pinch and shape the branches to create a more bonsai styled look. I have included some images below of what I consider to be good examples of this, also I just wanted to show so cool looking bonsai trees. Like I have said before I am no expert on this topic, I am just passionate and excited about it. That being said, I would love some advice on this topic if anyone has any to give.
That's all for now.
The Indoor Gardener










6 comments:

  1. I really want a Bonsai tree. One of the smaller ones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was going to get another one I would probably get a ficus bonsai just because its much easier to keep inside.

      Delete
  2. Misting isn't really considered beneficial. Nor does it increase the humidity. Better ways to do that are to use trays with a small amount of water that will evaporate over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok good to know, I do have a tray underneath that has some stones in it. Plus I live in Seattle and it rains a bit every day as is generally not that dry here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seattle is 70-80% humidity generally. That is very high. For example it didn't rain much today and it was 73%.

    I read this to the end! Maybe I need a tree.

    ReplyDelete