Monday, February 18, 2013

Vivarium Terrarium

Today I want to focus on terrariums, which can also be called Vivariums. I have wanted to get into terrariums for a long time, I don't mean climb into one. The definition of a terrarium is a miniature landscape with living things, it is like a mini ecosystem. Some people put lizards and frogs in terrariums, but I am just interested int the plants themselves.

The great thing about them is that they require little to no upkeep. There are two types of terrariums, dry and wet. Usually wet terrariums are completely closed to create lots of moisture. I am planning on making a terrarium soon and think that I would like to make a dry one. The coolest thing about building a terrarium is finding a container to place it in. I have seen some really great ones. I  have shown some really cool and unique ones below. A good foundation for a dry terrarium is small stones or sand, and for a wet one soil is best. Succulents, ferns, and moss are the best plants to add to your terrarium and some people add miniature figures. I have wanted to make a lightbulb terrarium for a while and I am gathering my supplies to make one soon. Here is a really cool link of a step by step guide on how to make a lightbulb terrarium.
Thats all for now.
The Indoor Gardener.








No comments:

Post a Comment